Loughborough resident and Labour Candidate call for Charnwood Borough Council to take action on gas safety
Loughborough resident Sean Fitzpatrick has been raising concerns with Charnwood Borough Council since he had his boiler repaired during the big chill in March this year. According to Mr Fitzpatrick, the engineer sent out to fix his boiler in March told Mr Fitzpatrick that he was not qualified to work on gas plumbing.
Mr Fitzpatrick and Labour Parliamentary Candidate Stuart Brady are calling on the Council to put in place proper procedures to ensure only Gas Safe engineers are sent into people’s homes to sort out gas related problems.
Sean Fitzpatrick said:
“There was a problem with my gas boiler not working so I requested a visit from an engineer via the Charnwood Homes repair line. Naturally, I assumed that this would be a qualified gas engineer.”
“I was shocked when the engineer from contractor T & S told me that he was an electrician not a gas engineer. I was even more shocked when he started to ask me about which pipes were which and how to resolve the issue. I had to show him how to use a loop pipe to fix the boiler. After turning the gas off, he fiddled with a number of knobs, attended to a frozen pipe, used the loop pipe, thanked me for my help, and was on his way.”
“I was not surprised when he filled out the job completion statement and failed to put a Gas Safe Number on the form. He had also told me that he had been on several other gas jobs over the course of the day despite not being qualified.”
“After many months of raising this with Charnwood Borough Council they finally wrote to me on 20th July 2018 saying that “T & S are Gas Safe Registered and all their gas engineers are gas safe registered. I cannot account for the comment the engineer made to you, however, this is something I will investigate with T & S Heating””.
“Later Charnwood Borough Council confirmed to me that this had indeed been an electrician.”
Mr Fitzpatrick and Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Loughborough Stuart Brady are now calling for Charnwood Borough Council to take urgent action to ensure all contractors who come into contact with gas installations are Gas Safe qualified.
Stuart Brady said:
“I have seen some cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in my day job as a barrister. It is essential that all engineers have appropriate qualifications otherwise the results can be catastrophic.”
“Sean’s experience calls for an urgent investigation and review of the practices of Charnwood Homes and how they manage relationships with contractors. Initially, Charnwood have indicated that all the contractor’s gas engineers were Gas Safe qualified, that clearly seems to be incorrect.”
“I think Charnwood Homes residents are entitled to expect appropriately qualified people attending to resolve gas related issues.”